You Never Know

Two weeks ago Murphy flipped a board and under it was spring. By that, I mean a board was flipped and under it were two Red-backed Salamanders. I wasn’t present for this moment, but when I saw the picture I was as excited as if I had been there. To be honest I was jealous so the next two days I went out to a forest in my home town to do my own flipping.
The first day out was stupid, really. It was chilly, it was late afternoon and looked like it might end up snowing or raining on me. But in my mind I had to get out there; salamanders MAY be out and I did not want to miss a single one. Just before entering the woods I turned as a strong wind blew around me and saw that ominous clouds were heading right towards me. I went into the forest anyways and began flipping logs that were manageable. Flip after flip turned up nothing, I grew frustrated and antsy wanting desperately to see something. The clouds rolled in and it began sprinkling.
”Okay,” I said to myself, “I can handle a little rain, not a problem.”
The rain drizzled on and I continued flipping. But as the clouds moved over, the wind picked up. I watched the trees overhead sway several feet in either direction, relying on their extensive roots to hold them into the ground. I continued flipping, while simultaneously scanning the overstory for dead branches and dead trees that may break loose in a gust of wind. I was really hoping that if a branch struck and killed me I would’ve at least found a salamander by then, but no log revealed those soft, wriggly sallys.
So the very next day, I decided I would go out to the same forest again. Although nothing turned up the day before I wanted to try it anyways. Really I was blinded by pure jealousy; Murphy already found her first Herp of the year and I wanted so desperately to find mine as well. This day would be different though, it was warmer and I was going to venture into an area of the forest that I hadn’t really explored too much. I started walking and stopping to flip logs here and there. Although I wanted to check out a newer area of that forest, I didn’t want to head straight there, so I meandered through sections I flipped the day before. Then it happened. No, a salamander was not found under a log. Instead it was a sound, a sound quite unmistakable, a warning sound to some. It was the drumming of a Pileated Woodpecker. Now I’ve seen Pileateds several times and I’ve written about them in a few posts, but every time I see of hear a bird at a new site, it’s just as exciting to me as seeing it for the first time. Plus, this is just a really cool bird. When I heard it, i was nowhere near it, but I could tell that it was near the area I was going. So I began to heading that direction a little more directly, continuing to flip as I walked. Every few minutes I would hear that drumming, still coming from the same direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science Fiction Prototyping

BOOK TALK: Secrets of Snakes

‘Big Night’ Bust