Spring Snakes


Like the rest of the country I have been mostly working from home. But part of working at a botanical garden is watering plants, so we’ve been put on a rotation of watering plants and working on any other necessary items that need to be attended to. Because our natural areas trails have remained open they need to be periodically checked for fallen trees, erosion, or other things that may cause safety issues. Thursday was my day to check trails. I hadn't been out on the property much lately so I was excited to see what was going on. After crossing the creek I was greeted by the calls of Chorus Frogs in the nearby wetland. These small frogs are among the first to be out calling for mates. I slowly knelt down near the wetland when I heard one calling near me, it soon however ceased calling. Scanning the edge of the water and anything sticking out of the water, I could not find it. I moved on down the trail and as soon as the frogs of that wetland faded out of earshot, the frogs of the next wetland called out even louder.
A boardwalk runs through a section of a fen and the frogs were out in full force. The Chorus Frog’s call is described by many as the same sound as running your finger along the teeth of a comb. But something else was in the middle of these calls; it was the call of a Wood Frog. Just one, with its call being almost drowned out by the sea of Chorus Frogs. Was it too early to be calling for this Wood Frog? Were females out? Maybe this male has gained an advantage by being the first male out and about, or maybe he’d be waiting awhile. My walking on the boardwalk caused an erie silence through the fen. No frog was going to risk getting nabbed by a predator just for the potential to mate.
I continued my walk and noticed some of the leafless shrubs along the creek. The American Hazelnuts were dripping with golden decorations. I stepped off the trail to take a closer look at their male flower inflorescences called catkins, a trademark of the Birch family.

As I stepped back onto the trail, I noticed a very faint rustling of leaves not to far from where I had been standing. I stepped back and scanned the ground and saw a dull yellow stripe weaved through the leaves. Ahhh the Common Garter Snake, while it’s nothing new to me, it still was the first snake of the year, which is exciting! I knelt down to quickly grab it before it got wrapped up in the underbrush. As I grabbed it, I noticed another yellow stripe nearby and attempted to grab it as well. I had them both in one hand for half a second before one slithered out of my hand and back under the leaves. I looked at the one in hand for a minute and set it on the trail for a quick photo. I then placed it back where I picked it up and realized that the second one was right next to where I put the first one back. I nudged them both to make sure they were safely under cover and continued down the trail.
I was thrilled to see snakes out, I really hadn’t expected to see any snakes for maybe a couple of weeks and this was an overcast day. Knowing that snakes were out, I was listening much more carefully to the sounds along the trail, this meant that there was a possibility for the Eastern Massasauga to be out as well. Farther down the trail I heard that smooth movement of leaves and grass. I did a quick turn and saw another Common Garter along the trail. It moved up onto a log, poised to make a quick escape if I came any closer. I decided to take a picture and leave this one alone. Again I continued down the trail, very happy of what I had just seen. Spring is happening and I can’t wait to get out more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science Fiction Prototyping

BOOK TALK: Secrets of Snakes

‘Big Night’ Bust