Florida Day 2

A flock of Black-bellied Whistling-ducks make for nice morning sounds when staying at my Aunt & Uncle's home in Lake County, FL. There exists a flock of about 20 that fly about the lake and 'whistle' each morning. Normally restricted to the Southern United States there have been sightings in Ohio, which have mostly been considered captivity escapees. While Murphy and I have seen them in Ohio, it was still a treat to see so many and to actually hear their call!
After taking our time in the morning, we headed back to the Lake Apopka area, this time starting at a different trail head. It was already mid day by the time we arrived and it was warm. The sound of Common Gallinules and the teasing of the American Kestrels was driving us mad. Each time we would approach a Kestrel that was sitting on a wire I would stop, get a picture, take a step forward, and take another picture. I would do this until it flew away, often just down the wire a hundred feet. Most of the time we were still too far away for my camera to really capture the beauty of that small falcon.
We continued down what appeared to be a man-made clearing of sorts, flipping what logs we found. At one point we ventured into some thicker brambles and flipped some more, but nothing. A few feet away from a pile of logs we flipped stood a dead pine snag about 8 ft. tall, it had loose bark on it at about 5 ft. which can be a refuge for some snakes. I decided to let it go for now but to come back to it on our way back to the road. We continued a bit further down the clearing but saw nothing. I turned around and headed back towards the snag. I peeled back the loose bark on the right side of the tree and peered in. Nothing. Then I peeled back the loose bark on the left side and there it was: dull, blue-gray scales, coiled up.
"Snake!" I yelled to Murphy. She came running over to see.
Now, I think there are some people out there who would've ripped the bark off the tree and grabbed the snake to get a positive ID on it. I didn't think that was necessary here; there were no other snags with loose bark in the immediate area that the snake could go to after having its refuge destroyed and I felt that we shouldn't disturb it anymore than peeling the bark back. Based on this photo alone, I am guessing that it was a Southern Black Racer potentially in shed due to the dullness; however, I will never know for sure.
We continued down the road, occasionally popping into the brush to flip and poke around. Nothing but Anoles it seemed. Eventually some of the areas along the road were holding water so I was frequently stopping to scan the banks for Water snakes or Cottonmouths. I was consistently disappointed. Down the road the ditches did turn up one small alligator, about 2.5-3 ft. in length.
We turned around some time after seeing the alligator, who was still in the same spot, and headed back towards the car. At one point a large bird flew overhead, but below the tree canopy; it was absolutely silent as it vanished into the woods.
"That was a f***ing owl" Murphy said matter of factly.
Murphy followed its path into the woods while I stayed on the road, feeling confident that there was no way it was still in the vicinity.
"I see it!" She loudly whispered.
I cautiously waded through the brambles and palmettos to catch up to her. Then I saw it; my first Barred Owl perched nicely on a Pine branch. It had its back turned to us, but the sound of my backpack occasionally moving would cause it to turn its head around and spend some time inspecting us. A tip for anyone who doesn't have a camera or is not that great at using their camera (me) you can always use a combination of your binoculars and your phone to take a picture, like I did below.
We watched the owl for some time until it decided to move on for the evening, likely looking to strike terror in the hearts of small mammals. We got back to the car, tired and thirsty, looking forward to getting back to the house. We hadn't been on the road long before we saw something near the road and decided to pull over. It was a tortoise! I had not expected to see a tortoise on our trip but knew that Gopher Tortoises existed down there and after comparing it to other photos determined that it was in fact a Gopher Tortoise.
The Gopher Tortoise is considered to be a vulnerable species according to IUCN and is also considered a Keystone Species. This means that its existence is important to many other organisms that occupy the same environment. If you are wondering how a tortoise might be that important, I understand. But here's why: these tortoises create large burrows in the ground which have been documented to also be used by more than 350 other species. Thus without the tortoise making the burrows, these other species would have fewer places to live, breed, or hide.
After seeing the tortoise we got back in the car and headed for the house. We had one more day left in Florida and we were getting anxious about seeing more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science Fiction Prototyping

BOOK TALK: Secrets of Snakes

‘Big Night’ Bust